Safety remains the top priority at KAS. While we are grateful for the excellent situation in Taiwan, we must remain vigilant in our actions. I want to keep you informed about our current procedures, and also thank you for your actions that have supported our good situation here.
Our full safety measures, current procedures, and previous community communication can be found on www.kas.tw/health-update. Here is a brief summary of steps we continue taking for the safety of the KAS community:
1. Masks – We continue to require masks to be worn by everybody on campus. This is based on the current recommendations from the CECC. We are aware some other schools have made individual decisions to not require masks. While we respect their decisions, the official CECC guidance has not changed. Accordingly, at KAS we will continue with our mask policy.
配戴口罩 – 我們持續地要求在校園裡的每一位都要戴上口罩。這也是基於疾病管制署所給的建議。我們也聽到外面有些學校做出不強制配戴口罩的個別決定，我們也給予尊重，但我們遵從疾病管制署的建議。因此，高雄美國學校將會持續要求每一位都要配戴口罩。
2. Social distancing during lunch – During lunch we have adjusted our space and schedule to ensure students can socially distance while eating. We also practice social distancing in certain PE activities where social distancing is a more appropriate safety measure than masks.
午餐時間的社交距離 – 午餐時間我們調整了空間和用餐日程來確保每位學生都能在吃東西時保有安全的社交距離。我們也在特定的體育活動實施了社交距離，這也比要求學生在體育課配戴口罩來的合宜。
3. Enhanced campus cleaning and disinfection – Our additional cleaning and disinfection measures are available for your review here. We are diligently cleaning and disinfected services appropriately and regularly for the safety of all on campus.
加強校園清潔和消毒 – 我們額外加強的清潔與消毒措施都可以在此供您點閱參考。為了校園全體的安全，我們將會努力不懈地提供適當地清潔與消毒服務。
4. Closed campus – We recognize that we must minimize risk in a way that supports learning. Accordingly, we seek to minimize interactions students may have with anybody who is not their classmate, their own parent, or KAS faculty. We do this by maintaining our closed campus, and by allowing visitors by appointment only. This way, all visitors undergo temperature checks and security screening, and we minimize potential contact between adult visitors and any children who are not their own. Our goal is for any approved visitor to only have contact only with adults or with their own children.
關閉校園 – 我們深知我們必須將學生的風險降到最低來為他們提供最好的學習。因此，我們力求能最大程度地減少學生與非他們同學、父母、或是KAS教職員互動。因此，我們必須維持校園關閉，並只接受事先預約的訪客入校。這樣一來，所有的訪客將會接受體溫量測以及安全檢查，我們藉此能最大程度地減少成年人訪客與其他非他們本身的孩子達到接觸。我們的目標是希望事先預約者僅接觸到校內的成人或是預約者本身的孩子。
5. Travel questionnaires – Though most (nearly all) in the KAS community are not traveling internationally at this time, we continue to monitor international travel of faculty, staff, and students. For students, we do this through travel questionnaires after long breaks, and via self-reporting for shorter breaks. We will require another travel questionnaire after the winter break. Any student, faculty, or staff who is subject to quarantine or lives with anybody who is subject to quarantine must remain off campus for the length of the quarantine.
旅遊問卷調查 – 儘管在這段防疫這段期間，大部分(幾近於零)的KAS大家庭成員都沒有出國旅行，我們持續地控管教職員與學生的國際旅遊。學生的部分，只要是長假後，我們都會寄送一份旅遊問卷要求填寫，較短的假期就是採取自我管理。下一份旅遊問卷寄送的時間將會是在寒假過後。若是有任何的學生、教職員需接受隔離的，或是家中同住者正在接受隔離的，都必須避免到校上課。
These are just five of the many steps we continue to take for the safety of the KAS community, but there are many more. Full information can be found at www.kas.tw/health-update.
We enjoy the privilege to learn together safely face-to-face during a time when most of the world is unfortunately online. We get to do this because of your responsibility and cooperation as a united KAS school community during this time of global pandemic.
Thank you for your ongoing partnership in keeping students, faculty, staff, and KAS families safe.
Dr. Ben Ploeger
Kaohsiung American School