Keeping students, faculty, staff, and our community safe remains a top priority for KAS. Our Response Team met today to discuss updated guidance from the CECC, the Kaohsiung Bureau of Education, and the Kaohsiung City Government.
Even though some schools in northern Taiwan have moved to online learning already, right now we are able to continue with in-person learning at Kaohsiung American School. Doing this safely and in accordance with regulations requires us to make some further changes, some of which require very difficult decisions. These changes are outlined below. They are effective immediately and remain effective through June 8.
1. Effective immediately, only students, school employees, and contracted vendors may enter the KAS campus. All other meetings must take place online.
2. All field trips and inter-school trips and activities are cancelled.
3. All professional development, meetings, and forums will be held online.
4. We urge all students, faculty, and staff to not go to crowded public places.
5. Masks continue to be required at all times while on campus. Social distancing is required during lunch.
6. Anybody who has traveled outside of Kaohsiung in May is requested to take their temperature twice daily – once upon arrival, and again after lunch. Please use the temperature monitor at our front desk for this purpose. If you feel ill or have any respiratory symptoms, stay home from school and seek medical treatment. Please inform them and us of your travel/activity history.
7. KAS recommends the use of the Taiwan Social Distancing app for contact tracing. More details can be found on our website.
8. All swimming classes are cancelled and the swimming pool is closed.
Ms. Rock will follow up with more information about prom and graduation on Monday morning.
We know these changes are difficult for students, families, faculty, and staff. We thank you for your partnership in safety, and we will continue doing everything possible to keep our community safe.