Participate in our Summer Reading Program with Biblionasium to beat the “Summer Slide”
“Summer slide” is the loss of knowledge and reading comprehension over summer vacation. If students aren’t reading regularly, their reading skills can slip or decline. Whether kids are reading books, graphic novels or magazines from home or the public library, reading ebooks on a computer or mobile device, or listening to audiobooks, the important thing is to keep kids reading over the summer, and Biblionasium and your KAS Library can help with this!
Researchers found that
“…the best predictor of summer loss or summer gain is whether or not a child reads during the summer. And the best predictor of whether a child reads is whether or not they have access to books.” -Allington, Richard L., and McGill-Franzen, Anne. “Bridging the Summer Reading Gap,” Scholastic Instructor (2003, May/June).
Learn more about the Power of Reading!
Summer reading tips:
- Students can login to their Follett Destiny Account and participate in the Summer Reading Program with Biblionasium
-Username is their KAS Student Network ID
-Password is their Student ID # on their ID Card
-Parents can login with your code that was sent home the last weeks of school on the parent portal of Biblionasium
– Here’s a tutorial: http://ior.ad/x7A on how to participate
- Let kids choose what they want to read.
- Take your child to the public library or check out the 5000+ electronic resources from the KAS Library.
- Model reading for your child. Let them see you enjoying the act of reading.
Now, go to your Library Follett Destiny Account, login and go to Biblionasium to participate!
Not sure how to find it or use it? Do this tutorial–there’s even a drop-down menu on the top left in 40+ languages so you can change the instructional language to make it easier to understand!