Having a healthy, balanced diet is very important to keeping your brain performing at its best! Knowing some basic rules, facts and figures will help you on your way to being the best version of you!
The best menu for boosting memory and brain function encourages good blood flow to the brain, so here we go:
- Always choose the wholegrain option – It’s not fun, and it’s certainly more of a hassle to prepare, but choosing brown, wholegrain options take more time releasing glucose into your bloodstream, making you feel fuller, longer and helping you be more energetic over a longer period of time. So when you can, choose brown bread, rice, and pasta!
- Eat Oily Fish (like Salmon) – Salmon is one of the best fish meats! Even canned salmon (with a salad) will go a long way in boosting your brain!
- Eat more eggs – Over the last few decades, there has been a lot of debate about eggs and their health. Over the last few years, research has shown eggs are actually a great source of protein. Have them boiled, poached, or however you like! (Fried is obviously less healthy)
- Get a peanut butter boost– Now there’s an excuse to buy that big tub of peanut butter from Costco! Peanut butter is actually a great source of vitamin E and is packed with antioxidants that protect nervous membranes. Put it in a smoothie or have it with your morning toast! Yum!
- Eat more oats– You might not necessarily consider oats super yummy, but they are a GREAT source of energy for kids (and adults!). Get some oats, throw in some milk and put it in the microwave. Add a few pinches of cinnamon and a few teaspoons of honey (to taste) to get the best flavour out of them.
- Eat more nuts – Nuts are packed with vitamin E, which helps slow cognitive decline. Make sure you munch of them as a snack!
- Milk & Yogurt -dairy is actually packed with protein and vitamin B, which are a super important to growth of brain tissue! Make sure you have enough dairy to keep your brain going!
- Lean Beef – Iron is a mineral not to be missed to help kids stay energized and help them concentrate. Eating lean beef is one of the best sources of iron. Iron is an essential mineral that helps kids stay energized and concentrate at school. Lean beef is one of the best sources of iron so add that into your mix!